How to cite a podcast in Chicago
To cite a podcast in a reference entry in Chicago style 17th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the podcast: Give the name of the author, host, producer or anyone in charge of the podcast.
- Title of the episode: Give the title in quotation marks.
- Title of the podcast: Give the title as presented in the source.
- Date of release: Give the month, day and year of publication.
- Type of access: Specify how the source was accessed.
- Length of podcast: Give the total length of the audio-visual source (e.g. 00:14:06).
- URL: Give the full URL from the direct source. Include http:// or https://.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a podcast in Chicago style 17th edition:
."Title of the episode." Title of the podcast, Date of release. Podcast, Type of access, Length of podcast. URL.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the Chicago style guidelines in action:
A podcast episode by one presenter
Roy, Rohan Deb. "Decolonise science: time to end another imperial era." In Depth, Out Loud, June 27, 2018. Podcast, website, 22:06. http://www.theconversation.com/decolonise-science-time-to-end-another-imperial-era-podcast-98909.
A podcast episode by one host
Mars, Roman. "Sound and Health: Cities." 99% Invisible, May 16, 2019. Podcast, website, 19:09. http://www.99percentinvisible.org/episode/sound-and-health-cities/.