How to cite an appendix in APA
There is no specific format to cite an appendix in APA, so we adapted the format of a chapter to fit an appendix.
To cite an appendix in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the appendix: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J. D.) of up to seven authors with the last name preceded by an ampersand (&). For eight or more authors include the first six names followed by an ellipsis (…) and add the last author's name.
- Year of publication: Give the year in brackets followed by a full stop.
- Appendix title: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- Editor(s) or Author of the book: Give the name of the author or editor of the book. If it is an editor, write the name (e.g. J. Smith), followed by (Ed.) or (Eds.) respectively. If not available, omit this part. @
- Title of the book: Book titles are italicized. Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalised.
- Page numbers: Give the full page range.
- Place of publication: List the city and the US state using the two-letter abbreviation. Spell out country names if outside of the UK or the USA.
- Publisher: Give the name of the publisher but omit terms, such as Publishers, Co., and Inc. Retain the words Books and Press.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an appendix in APA style 6th edition:
.(Year of publication). Appendix title. In Editor(s) or Author of the book, Title of the book. (pp. Page numbers). Place of publication: Publisher.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines in action:
An appendix in a book with one author
2010). Appendix II: Statement on the recognition of the national sign languages of the deaf. In Language policy and planning for sign languages (pp. 189-191). Washington, DC: Gallaudet UP.. (
An appendix in a book with two editors
2003). Appendix IV: Web sites for culture collections. In Live feeds in marine aquaculture (p. 307-308). Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science.. (