How to cite an online report in Chicago
To cite an online report in a reference entry in Chicago style 17th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the report: Give first the last name, then the name as presented in the source (e. g. Watson, John). For two authors, reverse only the first name, followed by ‘and’ and the second name in normal order (e. g. Watson, John, and John Watson). For more than seven authors, list the first seven names followed by et al.
- Title of the report: Give the title as presented in the source.
- Place of publication: Give the place of publication of the source.
- Publisher: Give the publisher name in full.
- Year of publication: Give the year of publication as presented in the source.
- Date of access: Give the month, day and year of publication.
- URL: Give the full URL from the direct source. Include http:// or https://.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an online report in Chicago style 17th edition:
.Title of the report. Place of publication: Publisher, Year of publication. Accessed Date of access. URL.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the Chicago style guidelines in action:
A report by an international organization found online
Annual report, 2005. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2006. Accessed June 6, 2018. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/69505/WHO_MPS_07.01_eng.pdf..
A financial report by a government agency found online
Financial Report of the United States Government. Washington, DC: U.S. Government, 2018. Accessed August 14, 2019. https://fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/financial-report/2018/03282019-FR(Final).pdf..
This citation style guide is based on the official Publication Manual.