How to cite an online magazine article in APA
To cite an online magazine article in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the article: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J. D.) of up to seven authors with the last name preceded by an ampersand (&). For eight or more authors include the first six names followed by an ellipsis (…) and add the last author's name.
- Year and month of publication: Give the year and month in brackets followed by a full stop.
- Title of the article: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- Title of the magazine: Give the full, non-abbreviated title of the periodical in title case. It should also be italicized.
- Volume number: The volume number is also italicized.
- Issue number: For journals that are paginated by issue give the issue number in brackets.
- Retrieved from URL: Start with 'Retrieved from' followed by the URL. If the URL is long or contains personal identifiers, give only the domain name, e.g. Retrieved from Amazon Prime.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an online magazine article in APA style 6th edition:
.(Year and month of publication). Title of the article. Title of the magazine, Volume number(Issue number) Retrieved from URL.
APA reference list examples
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines for an online magazine article citation in action:
An article from the digital version of a science magazine
Glausiusz, J. (2007, November). Better planet: Can a maligned pesticide save lives? Discover Magazine, 20. Retrieved from http://discovermagazine.com/
An article from the digital version of a technology magazine
Pollack, M. E. (2005). Intelligent technology for an aging population: The use of AI to assist elders with cognitive impairment. AI Magazine, 26(2). Retrieved from https://www.aaai.org/
This citation style guide is based on the official Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition).