How to cite a TV show in APA
To cite a TV show in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Producer(s) & Director(s) of the show: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J. D.) of up to seven authors with the last name preceded by an ampersand (&). For eight or more authors include the first six names followed by an ellipsis (…) and add the last author's name.
- Year of release: Give the period of years in which the show was aired.
- Title of the TV show: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- Place: Give the location of the production company.
- Production company: Give the name of the company that produced the show.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a TV show in APA style 6th edition:
.(Year of release). Title of the TV show [TV series]. Place: Production company.
APA reference list examples
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines for a TV show citation in action:
A popular TV show with two producers
Benioff, C.D. & Weiss, D.B. (Producers). (2011-2019). Game of thrones [TV series]. New York, NY: HBO.
A TV show with two producers
Crane, D. & Kauffman, M. (Producers). (1994-2004). Friends [TV series]. New York, NY: NBC.
This citation style guide is based on the official Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition).