How to cite a Reddit post in APA
To cite a Reddit post in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Author of the Reddit post: Give the last name and initials of the author (e.g. Gates, B.) or if not an individual, the full name (e.g. TAMU Writing Center).
- Reddit screen name: Provide the Reddit screen name in square brackets (e.g. [HiinXCVIII] or [SoulK007]).
- Date of posting: Give the year, month and day in brackets followed by a full stop, e.g. (2019, June 13).
- Title of the Reddit post: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- URL: Give the full URL of the web page including the protocol (http:// or https://).
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a Reddit post in APA style 6th edition:
.[Reddit screen name] (Date of posting). Title of the Reddit post [Online forum post]. Retrieved from URL
APA reference list examples
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines for a Reddit post citation in action:
A Reddit post from an unknown user
[HiinXCVIII]. (2018, September 24). Fantastic view from google earth [Online forum post]. Retrieved from https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/9ihsdp/fantastic_view_from_google_earth/
An unknown user's question on Reddit
[SoulK007]. (2018, December 9). How are you supposed to cite a reddit post in APA or MLA? [Online forum post]. Retrieved from https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/a4hwq8/how_are_you_supposed_to_cite_a_reddit_post_in_apa/
This citation style guide is based on the official Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition).