How to cite a Facebook post in MLA
To cite a Facebook post in a reference entry in MLA style 8th edition include the following elements:
- Author or User name: Give the name of the author or user name.
- Description of post: Titles are italicized when independent. If part of a larger source add quotation marks and do not italize.
- Date, time of posting: Add the date and time of publication.
- URL: Copy URL in full from your browser, omit http:// or https:// and do not list URLs created by shortening services.
- Date of access: Give the the day, month and year of retrieval.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a Facebook post in MLA style 8th edition:
.Description of post. Facebook, Date, time of posting, URL. Accessed Date of access.
Take a look at our works cited examples that demonstrate the MLA style guidelines in action:
A Facebook post from Obama's official page
Obama, Barack. Obama meeting Greta Thunberg. Facebook, 17 Sep. 2019, 10:27 pm, facebook.com/barackobama/. Accessed 22 Sept. 2019.
A Facebook post from the page of a YouTube channel
AsapSCIENCE. A Star Is Born...Literally. Facebook, 10 Apr. 2019, 07:15 pm, facebook.com/AsapSCIENCE/. Accessed 11 May 2019.