How to cite a blog post in Chicago
To cite a blog post in a reference entry in Chicago style 17th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the blog post: Give first the last name, then the name as presented in the source (e. g. Watson, John). For two authors, reverse only the first name, followed by ‘and’ and the second name in normal order (e. g. Watson, John, and John Watson). For more than seven authors, list the first seven names followed by et al.
- Title of the blog post: Give the title in quotation marks.
- Blog title: Give the title as presented in the source.
- Date of posting: Give the month, day and year of publication.
- URL: Give the full URL from the direct source. Include http:// or https://.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a blog post in Chicago style 17th edition:
."Title of the blog post." Blog title. Date of posting. URL.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the Chicago style guidelines in action:
A blog post with one author from a science platform
Why We Should Think Twice About Colonizing Space." Nautilus, February 18, 2019. http://www.nautil.us/blog/-why-we-should-think-twice-about-colonizing-space.. "
A blog post with one author from a popular digital platform
Google's Change the Game initiative is turning girls into game developers." Hello Giggles, December 11, 2018, http://www.hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/google-play-change-the-game-girls-gaming/.. "
This citation style guide is based on the Chicago Manual of Style (17th edition).