How to cite a video game in APA
To cite a video game in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Rightsholder of video game: The author refers to the individual that owns the rights of the game. However, if there is no rights-holder, treat the reference as unauthored placing the title first followed by a version number, if available.
- Year of publication: Give the year in brackets followed by a full stop.
- Title of the video game: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized. Do not italicize.
- Version: Provide the name of the console or device the game can be played on.
- Location: Give the place of the company that produced the game.
- Name of Producer: Give the name of the company that produced the game.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a video game in APA style 6th edition:
.(Year of publication). Title of the video game (Version) [Video game]. Location: Name of Producer.
APA reference list examples
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines for a video game citation in action:
A Switch video game without rights-holder
Amaya, D. (2017) Cave story+ (Switch version) [Video game]. Santa Ana, CA: Nicalis.
A video game for PC without rights-holder
Fortnite: Battle royale (PC version) [Video game]. (2017). Cari, NC: Epic Games.