How to cite a UN report in APA
To cite a UN report in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the UN report: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J. D.) of up to seven authors with the last name preceded by an ampersand (&). For eight or more authors include the first six names followed by an ellipsis (…) and add the last author's name.
- Year of publication: Give the year in brackets followed by a full stop.
- Title of the UN report: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- Report number: Give the number of the report preceded by 'Report No.'
- Place of publication: List the city and the US state using the two-letter abbreviation. Spell out country names if outside of the UK or the USA.
- Publisher: Give the name of the publisher but omit terms, such as Publishers, Co., and Inc. Retain the words Books and Press.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a UN report in APA style 6th edition:
.(Year of publication). Title of the UN report (Report No. Report number). Place of publication: Publisher.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines in action:
A UN report with one author
2016). Report of the Special Rapporteur of the Human Rights Council on the rights of indigenous peoples (Report No. A/71/229). New York, NY: United Nations.. (
A UNDP report
2019). Bhutan National Human Development Report: Ten Years of Democracy in Bhutan. Thimphu, BT: UNDP.. (
This citation style guide is based on the official Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition).