How to cite documentary in APA
To cite a documentary in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Director(s) & Producer(s) of the documentary: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J. D.) of the primary contributors (e. g. Director or Producer) ending with a parentheses identifying their contribution.
- Year of publication: Give the year in brackets followed by a full stop.
- Title of the film: Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- Format or medium: Simply provide 'Motion picture' or the medium e.g. DVD as description.
- Location: List the city and the US state using the two-letter abbreviation. Spell out country names if outside of the UK or the USA.
- Production company or studio: Give the name of the company that produced the documentary.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a documentary in APA style 6th edition:
Director(s) & Producer(s) of the documentary. (Year of publication). Title of the film [Format or medium]. Location: Production company or studio.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines in action:
A documentary where the directors are also the producers
West, B. & Cohen, J. (Directors & Producers). (2018). RBG [Motion picture]. New York, NY: Magnolia Pictures.
A documentary with one director
Lears, R. (Director) & Blotnick, R. & Olson, S. (Producers). (2019). Knock Down the House [Motion picture]. Los Gatos, CA: Netflix Originals.