How to cite a website in MLA
To cite a website in a reference entry in MLA style 8th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) name: Give the editor, author, or compiler if available. If none, start with the title.
- Title of the website: Titles are italicized when independent. If part of a larger source add quotation marks and do not italize.
- Publisher: Give the name of the publisher if available.
- Year of publication: Give the year of publication as presented in the source.
- URL: Copy URL in full from your browser, omit http:// or https:// and do not list URLs created by shortening services.
- Date of access: Give the the day, month and year of retrieval.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a website in MLA style 8th edition:
.Title of the website. Publisher, Year of publication, URL. Date of access.
Take a look at our works cited examples that demonstrate the MLA style guidelines in action:
A popular website without a specific author
HelloGiggles: A Positive Community for Women. Meredith Corporation, 2011, hellogiggles.com. Accessed 15 Sep. 2019.
A website by one author
Food Wishes. 2007, foodwishes.blogspot.com. Accessed 3 Dec. 2016..