How to cite a blog post in MLA
To cite a blog post in a reference entry in MLA style 8th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) name: Give the last name and name as presented in the source (e. g. Watson, John). For two authors, reverse only the first name, followed by ‘and’ and the second name in normal order (e. g. Watson, John, and John Watson). For three or more authors, list the first name followed by et al. (e. g. Watson, John, et al.)
- Title of the post: Titles are italicized when independent. If part of a larger source add quotation marks and do not italize.
- Title of the blog: Container titles are italicized and followed by a comma.
- Date of posting: Give the day, month and year of publication. All months, excluding June and July, are abbreviated as three letters (e.g. 9 Aug. 2019.)
- URL: Copy URL in full from your browser, omit http:// or https:// and do not list URLs created by shortening services.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a blog post in MLA style 8th edition:
."Title of the post." Title of the blog, Date of posting, URL.
Take a look at our works cited examples that demonstrate the MLA style guidelines in action:
A blog post with one author from a popular digital platform
Google's Change the Game initiative is turning girls into game developers." Hello Giggles, 11 Dec. 2018, hellogiggles.com/lifestyle/google-play-change-the-game-girls-gaming/.. "
A blog post with one author from a science digital platform
Why We Should Think Twice About Colonizing Space." Nautilus, 18 Feb. 2019, nautil.us/blog/-why-we-should-think-twice-about-colonizing-space.. "