How to cite an undergraduate thesis in Harvard
To cite an undergraduate thesis in a reference entry in Harvard style include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the undergraduate thesis: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J.) of up to three authors with the last name preceded by 'and'. For four authors or more include the first name followed by et al., unless your institution requires referencing of all named authors.
- Year of submission: Give the year in round brackets.
- Title of the undergraduate thesis: Give the title as presented in the source. Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalized.
- Degree description: Type of degree.
- Degree-awarding institution: Give the name of the institution.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an undergraduate thesis in Harvard style:
.(Year of submission) Title of the undergraduate thesis. Degree description. Degree-awarding institution.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the Harvard style guidelines in action:
A bachelor's thesis by two authors
2013) Factors influencing the choice of bank – An international student perspective. Bachelor's thesis. Dalarna University.. (
An unpublished undergraduate thesis
2015) The applicability of the Qualitative System Analysis as decision-making tool in public administration by the example of the municipality Ludwigsburg. Unpublished undergraduate thesis. Leuphana University of Lüneburg.. (