How to cite a Tweet in Harvard
To cite a Tweet in a reference entry in Harvard style include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the tweet: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J.) of up to three authors with the last name preceded by 'and'. For four authors or more include the first name followed by et al., unless your institution requires referencing of all named authors.
- Year of posting: Give the year in round brackets.
- Date of posting: Give the day and month of publication.
- URL: Give the full URL of the web page including the protocol (http:// or https://).
- Date of access: Give the day and month of publication.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a Tweet in Harvard style:
(Year of posting) [Twitter] Date of posting. Available at: URL (Accessed: Date of access).
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the Harvard style guidelines in action:
Tweet by a group author
2019) [Twitter] 9 June. Available at: https://twitter.com/educationweek/status/1141370050269646854(https://twitter.com/educationweek/status/1141370050269646854)
Tweet by an individual author
2019) [Twitter] 9 May. Available at: https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/1126525681788014592