How to cite an online journal article in Harvard
To cite an online journal article in a reference entry in Harvard style include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the online journal article: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J.) of up to three authors with the last name preceded by 'and'. For four authors or more include the first name followed by et al., unless your institution requires referencing of all named authors.
- Year of publication: Give the year in round brackets.
- Title of the online journal article: Give the title of the article in single quotation marks.
- Title of the journal: Give the title in italics and capitalize the first letter of the first word and proper nouns.
- Volume number: Give the volume number.
- Issue number: Give the issue number and, if given, the month or season.
- Page numbers: Give the full page range or page number.
- doi: Include the digital object identifier (DOI).
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an online journal article in Harvard style:
.(Year of publication) 'Title of the online journal article', Title of the journal, Volume number (Issue number), pp. Page numbers. doi.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the Harvard style guidelines in action:
An online journal article with two authors and a DOI
2000) 'The University of Freiburg: A Model for a Bilingual University', Higher Education in Europe, 25(4), pp. 461–468. https://doi.org/10.1080/03797720120037796.. (