How to cite a Kindle book in APA
To cite a Kindle book in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Author(s) of the Kindle book: Give the last name and initials (e. g. Watson, J. D.) of up to seven authors with the last name preceded by an ampersand (&). For eight or more authors include the first six names followed by an ellipsis (…) and add the last author's name.
- Year of publication: Give the year in brackets followed by a full stop.
- Title of the Kindle book: Book titles are italicized. Only the first letter of the first word and proper nouns are capitalised.
- Kindle version: Give the name of the Kindle device you are reading the book on.
- amazon.com: Give the full URL of the web page including the protocol (http:// or https://).
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a Kindle book in APA style 6th edition:
.(Year of publication). Title of the Kindle book. [Kindle version]. Retrieved from amazon.com
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines in action:
For eBooks APA 6th edition requires you to provide any information that is important for identification and retrieval of the work in brackets immediately after the title. Here is a list of common notations for Kindle books:
- Kindle DX version
- Kindle Paperwhite version
- Kindle Oasis version
- Kindle Voyage version
- Kindle Touch version
- Kindle Cloud Reader version
- Kindle Android version
- Kindle iOS version
Kindle book with one author
2006). The sun also rises [Kindle Paperwhite version]. Retrieved from amazon.com. (
Note: Instead of the publisher and the place of publication provide the domain name.
This citation style guide is based on the official Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition).