How to cite an Instagram post in APA
To cite an Instagram post in a reference entry in APA style 6th edition include the following elements:
- Author of the Instagram post: Give the last name and initials of the author (e.g. Norris, A.) or the full artistic name (e.g. Lady Gaga).
- Instagram screen name: Provide the Instagram screen name in square brackets (e.g. [@ladygaga] or [@webcomic_name]).
- Date of posting: Give the year, month and day in brackets followed by a full stop, e.g. (2019, June 13).
- Content of the caption: Do not italicize. If the Caption does not contain words, give a short description in square brackets.
- Format: E.g. Photograph, Video.
- URL: Give the full URL of the web page including the protocol (http:// or https://).
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an Instagram post in APA style 6th edition:
.[Instagram screen name] (Date of posting). Content of the caption [Format]. Retrieved from URL
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the APA style guidelines in action:
The Instagram post of a celebrity
@ladygaga]. (2019, July 16). To the launch of #HAUSLABORATORIES. Cheers to a wonderful day 1 🥂 [Photograph]. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz9q87wlxGl/[
The Instagram post of an illustrator
@webcomic_name]. (2019, June 26). .....#webcomicname [Photograph]. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLoUCWHZse/[