How to cite an edited book in AMA
To cite an edited book in a reference entry in AMA style 10th edition include the following elements:
- Editor(s) of book: Give the last name, and initials followed by a comma and ed or eds. (e.g. Watson J, ed.).
- Title of book: Italicize the title and capitalize the first letter of each major word.
- Edition number: Only include information about the edition if it is not the first.
- Place of publication: Give the name of the city in which the publishing entity was located at the time of publication.
- Publisher: Abbreviate the publisher's name.
- Year of publication: Give the year of publication.
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of an edited book in AMA style 10th edition:
Editor(s) of book, ed(s). Title of book. Edition number ed. Place of publication: Publisher; Year of publication.
Take a look at our reference list examples that demonstrate the AMA style guidelines in action:
A book with four editors
Higonnet MR, Jenson J, Michel S, Weitz MC, eds. Behind the Lines: Gender and the Two World Wars. New Haven, CT: Yale UP; 1987.
A book with one editor
Trevor W, ed. The Oxford Book of Irish Short Stories. Oxford, UK: Oxford UP; 2010.